Friday, August 24, 2012

Sneak Preview of Bookshelf Door

The last thing I need to do in order to fully finish the Quest Room, once a guest room, now home to two teenage boys, is to put a door on it. I have always wanted a hidden door, disguised as a bookshelf, and it turns out that the boys like that idea as much as I do! I haven't begun yet, other than to start looking for the right wood at the transfer station, and planning in my head how it will work. 

Along with the door, I need to finish the wall that it will slide over, and that will be done using the reclaimed lumber. We had an impromptu nail-pulling lesson yesterday, and with the boys' help, cleaned enough wood for that whole job! After that is done, I think how I will do it is to use a barn-door rail-type of hanger, with a nice bookshelf built onto a sturdy back. The bottom edge will stay in place when it's moved if I install a couple of small wheels (hidden) that stay in a shallow floor-groove. 

The Quest Room
I'll be documenting that job's progress, as well as some other interior work, over the coming weeks. I just wanted to share the plan, and document a "before" photo of the room. Filled with boy-stuff now, it may not be approachable with a camera for some time (kidding, guys), and the door-project photos might just show the outside. I think I can do this whole project with recycled wood, and will be very conservative in my hardware purchases, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment